The mission of Westside Christian Church is to reach people with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ and to lead, teach and equip them to become life-long followers of Him.
The Wonder and Majesty of God
As 2015 winds down to its end and we begin to look to a new year, it is a good time to stop for a moment and reflect on some things that will serve us well as we launch out into 2016. Over these next two Sundays, (Dec. 27th & Jan. 3rd) we are going to stop and take stock of truths that we sometimes know are true but don’t really stop to think about in much depth. The first will set our eyes on the loftiness and glory of God as we consider the “Wonder and Majesty of God.” God must always be the starting point for any understanding of spiritual truth because He is the only true source of that reality. As we seek His face and consider His greatness and transcendence, it will humble us and prepare us to respond to His greatness and glory. That leads to the second Sunday, where we will consider the “Absolute of Scripture in our Daily Lives.” When we see God’s glory and majestic character we will be moved to hear and respond in faithful obedience to His Word - the Bible. As Jay Vincent takes us on this journey, may our response be the response of the disciples to Jesus, “Where else could we go? You have the words of eternal life!” May this provide us a sound foundation to grow in our faith in the new year ahead. Blessings! ~Pastor Frank
Celebrating the Birth of Christ 2015
Christmas is a really big deal around the world. It is estimated that at least 2 billion people celebrate Christmas every year. About 40 million Americans have a Christmas tree in their home with presents packed underneath. Billions are spent in dollars in retail and on-line sales during the holiday. The average family spends between $800-$900 on presents. Every year more Christmas songs are written and recorded, more Christmas movies are made and more Christmas books are written and published. Arguably, Christmas is the largest and most popular holiday celebrated in the world. The question is...Why? What makes Christmas so popular? What makes Christmas so important and why do we as a culture enjoy it so much? I think it is because Christmas points to our reason to have joy. Songs, movies, books, trees, presents, Rudolph and Frosty all hint at greater joy than anyone can imagine. But the true joy of Christmas is not found in the books, presents, the candy canes or the moves. The joy of Christmas is found in a hollowed out cave in Bethlehem. In a rough-hewn manger used to feed animals, in the dim light and chill and stench of that stable, a baby is found wrapped in cloths. The joy of Christmas is found in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Light of the world. It is in Him that our joy is found and our hope fulfilled. Merry Christmas! ~Pastor Frank
- *Spending Christmas With Isaiah - More Than a Child 2015-12-06 Isaiah 9:1-7 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Is Christmas Distracting You From Christ? 2015-12-13 Luke 1:26-38; 10:38-42 [ Nathan Cherry ]
- *What is your response to God’s Christmas Proclamation? 2015-12-20 Lk 1,2; Mt 1,2; Isa 9 [ Nathan Cherry ]
Leviticus: Holy God, Holy People (1-14)
Quick! Name your favorite book in the Bible! One of the Gospels? Maybe John...or Mark. Or the majestic treatise of Romans. Or the freedom message of Galatians. Maybe it’s the action packed book of Exodus...or maybe the way everything began in Genesis. Or David’s life in 1 Samuel...or the sweet Psalms.
But what about the third book of the Bible? I have never met anyone who offered Leviticus as their favorite book of the Bible. It is the book that every “read through the Bible in a year” attempt goes to die...the graveyard...the place where people give up. No question about it—a cursory reading of the book can be confusing with all of the rituals, laws, regulations and sacrifices. Yet, this book is the key to unlocking the wealth of the New Testament and our relationship and manner of life toward God and one another.
It is my hope that our study of this wonderful book will help all of us to better understand and apply vital concepts that are central to living the Christian life. May the Holy Spirit guide us and give us eyes to see and ears to hear as we travel through this amazing book. Blessings!
- *Introduction/Overview 2015-09-06 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Burnt Offering 2015-09-13 Leviticus 1:1-17 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Meal Offering 2015-09-20 Leviticus 2:1-16 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Peace Offering 2015-09-27 Leviticus 3:1-17; 7:11-36 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Sin Offering 2015-10-04 Leviticus 4:1-5:13 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Guilt Offering 2015-10-11 Leviticus 5:14-6:7; 7:1-6 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Priesthood: Consecrated to Serve 2015-10-18 Leviticus 8:1-36 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Priesthood: Ministry Begins 2015-10-25 Leviticus 9:1-24 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Priesthood: From Triumph to Tragedy 2015-11-01 Leviticus 10:1-20 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Holiness and Daily Food 2015-11-15 Leviticus 11:1-47 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Purity Laws Concerning Childbirth: Defiled on Delivery 2015-11-22 Leviticus 12:1-8 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Purity Laws Concerning Infectious Disease: The Cost of Getting Close 2015-11-29 Leviticus 13:1-14:57 [ Frank Mascaro ]
In the Gospels we see Peter, a passionate follower, yet failing in so many ways. We are many times harsh in judging him and fail to look in the mirror. Peter knows he is soon going to be with the Lord, 2 Peter 1:14. In this book, Peter reveals his passion for the Church and the Word of God, the Scriptures. Can Peter’s Passion rub off on us? Thanks for joining us this morning as we look at “Peter’s Passion” in 2 Peter chapter 1.
~Guest Pastor Jay Vincent
The Quandary of Ministry and the Church Today
America can be proud about many things; our innovations, generosity, freedoms, opportunities and entrepreneurial spirit are unsurpassed. Yet when it comes to our nation embracing and understanding perhaps the greatest gift ever given humanity, The Bible, we could be categorized as moving from dumb to dumber and it is no laughing matter. The problem exists both inside and outside the church. Non-Christians no longer possess the general truths of the Bible that they once had in past decades.
Unfortunately, Christians are so distracted by culture that they do not see the life transformation that personal engagement with the Bible can bring. The result is that we are a nation in free fall heading down a dangerous path. It is the Church and its ministry that can bring reformation and renewal to this unfortunate trend...but that will require change in ourselves and our misplaced priorities and worship of God. It has always been a challenge for fallen humanity, but God has given us all we need to experience His transforming power—if we will heed His Word and emulate the examples He has provided.
~Pastor Frank Mascaro
The Book Of James “Grow Up: Moving On To Maturity”
The book of James is a powerful little book full of challenge and expectation. It’s not a book of suggestions or good ideas but rather a confrontational exhortation to live what we say we believe. So, what does it mean to be a Christian? Is it simply church attendance? Bible Study? Giving of tithes and offerings? Those are all well and good...but do not sum up the total of what it means to be a Christ follower. Simply going to church a few times a month and calling oneself a Christian is like a man who makes a peanut butter sandwich and calls himself a chef. Or the lady who plants a flower and announces to the world she is now a gardener. These folks have missed the point completely and their lives suffer as a result. As we dive into the book of James, we will be encouraged and challenged; pushed and prodded to be more and do more in the name of Christ. For as James 1:22 tells us, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
~Pastor Nathan Cherry
- *Trials on the Outside 2015-07-05 James 1:1-12 [ Nathan Cherry ]
- *Temptation on the Inside 2015-07-12 James 1:13-27 [ Nathan Cherry ]
- *The Mature Christian Practices Truth 2015-07-19 James 2:1-26 [ Nathan Cherry ]
- *Spiritual Leadership 2015-07-26 James 3:1-18 [ Marc Bigelow ]
- *Man’s Battle…And The Will Of God! 2015-08-02 James 4 [ Nathan Cherry ]
- *Oppression, Suffering & Prayer 2015-08-09 James 5 [ Nathan Cherry ]
Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity
The apostle Paul wrote this letter to the Corinthians as a corrective response to reports of problems and disorder among the church there, as well as, to answer specific questions that they had apparently sent to Paul for clarification. His response was this corrective letter to address the specific improper attitudes and conduct of the Corinthian church and instead promote UNITY among the believers concerning their relationships and their worship. In these chapters, (12-14) Paul specifically attempts to correct an abuse of one of the spiritual gifts – namely that of tongues - which will become clear in chapter 14. Paul did not want the Corinthians to have misunderstandings about the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts, but that they would have a right understanding and use these gifts for the glory of God and the building up of the church. It seems to be a lesson that is still in need for us today. May the Holy Spirit give us ears to hear and hearts to understand and obey. ~Pastor Frank Mascaro
- *The Church and Spiritual Gifts 2015-06-07 1 Corinthians 12:1-30 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Spiritual Gifts Are Important But Love is Supreme 2015-06-14 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Seek to Edify Others 2015-06-21 1 Corinthians 14:1-25 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Let All Things Be Done Decently and in Order 2015-06-28 1 Corinthians 14:26-40 [ Frank Mascaro ]
Hebrews 11, the famous "faith" chapter, gives us a who's who of faithful people. But what is faith anyway and why do some people seem to exhibit it more than others? How does one grow in his or her faith and... does it really matter?! Today, we're going to talk about faith; what it looks like and how it should play out in our lives. Why, you ask? Because, "without faith, it is impossible to please God" (v 6) - a pretty bold statement! So, if faith is that important to God... perhaps it should play a more prominent role in your life and mine. I'm glad you joined us today as we take a look at the "By Faith" claims of scripture and discover some practical applications for our lives today. ~Nathan Cherry
Equipped For Every Good Work
If ever there was a need for clarity it is now! The source for clarity is the Word of God, and it is essential for living godly lives. It follows then that it is also essential that we have biblical teachers that can deliver to us the Word; to clarify, teach and train up the person of God. Praise God for His supply to you in Pastor Frank. He has been charged to “guard the trust,” to “be an unashamed worker” and to “preach the Word.” What should your response be? Hebrews 13:17, obey with joy! Westside Church, this is your chance to walk in faith to honor your leadership and to trust the Lord, we are his church. ~Guest Pastor, Jeff Axtell New Hope Christian Fellowship
The Gospel of John...that you may believe..
As we near the end of John's Gospel, we see examples of grace the world has never imagined. First with Judas and the guards as they came to arrest Him in the garden, He asks that the others not be taken. Then, He meets with the High Priests, offering them one more chance to recognize Him as their Messiah. He meets with Pilate, offering him the Voice of Truth he had given up seeking. From the cross, He asks His Father to forgive them, because they do not understand what they are doing. This grace continued three days later, as Jesus comforted His disciples and assured Thomas that it was really Him, and in Galilee, He restores Peter's confidence, once for each of his three denials. Join us now as we conclude our journey together through the Gospel of John: “…That You May Believe.”
- *The Real Lord’s Prayer 2015-04-12 John 17:1-26 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Who Is In Control Here? (Part 1) 2015-04-19 John 18:1-27 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Who Is In Control Here? (Part 2) 2015-04-26 John 18:28-19:16 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Lamb is Slain 2015-05-03 John 19:16b-42 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Jesus Has Risen Bodily From the Grave 2015-05-10 John 20:1-31 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Refocusing the Commission 2015-05-17 John 21:1-25 [ Frank Mascaro ]
Easter Sunday 2015
This morning, in celebration of our Risen Savior, we skip ahead in John's gospel to imagine what the disciples must have felt that fearful and wonderful morning some 2,000 years ago as they came to realize what He had been trying to explain to them all along. Appearing to His disciples in the upper room, He brought them peace. Not as the world gives, but instead, the kind of peace that comes from realizing that even death had no power over Him. He also gave them the Holy Spirit who would remain with them and give them indomitable courage to boldly share their experience with others. It is this same Spirit that He freely gives each of us so that we might also share what we have seen and believed so that others may also believe.
The Gospel of John...that you may believe.
As we continue the Gospel of John, let me take you to the end of the book, because it is there that John tells us WHY he wrote this book: “But these (events) are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:31) John wrote his gospel with a very specific purpose in mind - to show that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh. It is not so much a biography as it is a theological argument. It is by believing that Jesus Christ is indeed the Son of the Living God that we find life….real life, eternal life, a transformed life! Every event and every word from Jesus is designed to show us that Jesus is God, from His miraculous signs to His astounding words and claims. I hope you will join us for the entire study of this amazing book and bring your friends! Let’s continue our journey together with the Gospel of John: “…That You May Believe.”
- *The True Bread of Life 2015-01-04 John 7:1-39 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Controversial Jesus 2015-01-11 John 7:40-52 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Wonder of Grace 2015-01-18 John 7:53-8:11 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *When Light Meets Darkness 2015-01-25 John 8:12-8:30 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Only Hope for Freedom 2015-02-01 John 8:13-8:59 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Dividing Light 2015-02-08 John 9:1-41 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Door and the Shepherd Who Lays Down His Life 2015-02-15 John 10:1-42 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Do You Believe This? 2015-02-22 John 11:1-57 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The End of Jesus’ Public Ministry 2015-03-01 John 12:1-50 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *Jesus Shows the Full Extent of His Love 2015-03-08 John 13:1-38 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Blessings of Christ’s Absence 2015-03-15 John 14:1-31 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Vital Importance of Mission - Part 1 2015-03-22 John 15:1-16:4 [ Frank Mascaro ]
- *The Vital Importance of Mission - Part 2 2015-03-29 John 16:5-16:33 [ Frank Mascaro ]